Monday, May 12, 2008

The stupidest email message ever

I recently wrote this email to a colleague:

Laura,
What is your email address? I want to pass it on to someone, but I have no idea what it is!

No, I'm not a complete idiot. I don't think I am. But, yes, I sent an email to a person asking her what her email address is.

The problem is the email system CPS uses, First Class. When you compose a message, in the "to" field, you type the person's name, either first or last. The system then shows you a list of every person who works for or attends CPS with that name. You click on the name of the person you're trying to send a message to, and the system does the rest. Nowhere does it actually show the person's email address. I've clicked around, made Laura my contact, looked at all information associated with her, and there's no sign of an address.

So I had to send her an email asking for her email address, possibly the stupidest email message ever written. Just another way my employer wastes my time.

6 comments:

rich the photo guy said...

Is there any way to view the header info of your emails? The "actual" email address should be in there somewhere.

Russ' said...

dude!

if you e-mail that person and cc yourself, you will be able to see their e-mail address in the e-mail you get.

wait until your students start using 1stclass.

Russ' said...

i guess i should have mentioned that you need to send this to a non 1stclass e-mail address.

teacherman said...

Thank you, russ, for proving that I actually am an idiot. It worked. Still, seems like a lot of work just to find out someone's address ...

AMY said...

I have had that exact experience. People who don't work for CPS have no idea all that we put up with!

Anonymous said...

My workplace is the same way. You are not alone.