Thursday, May 01, 2008

The butchering of the English language continues

After school yesterday, a student and I decorated a bulletin board outside my classroom with copies of last year's literary journal, hoping to get some students interested in submitting work for this year's edition.

As we left, we wondered how long it would be before someone walked past, took a swipe, and tore down the hanging journals, which were arranged three-dimensionally with pages folded open and other journals hanging from a string. "I think they'll stay up maybe fifteen minutes into first period," he said.

"I agree," I agreed.

Well, no one tore down the display, proving once again that the majority of teenagers are not destructive (although maybe it just proves that they totally ignored our bulletin board). But I know that at least one student realized it was there.

"Hey, my poem's in there," one of my fourth period students said proudly as she walked into the room.

"Excellent," I said. "Are you going to submit some work for this year's journal?"

"I don't think so," she said. "I don't feel inspirated."

"You don't feel inspired?" I said, feeling like a parent correcting a toddler.

"Yeah, for some reason, I don't feel inspirated."

7 comments:

teacherman said...

And I kid you not, five minutes later I heard a student say, "We were just conversating."

Levois said...

Inspirated is a new one. What's funny is that she didn't seem to realize she was being corrected.

Anonymous said...

i wish i writed poems like those in the literary journal.

Anonymous said...

oh excuse me, i meant wrote. =)

Historygrl said...

Heh. I do like your bulletin board, though. It looks like one big happy smiley face. :)

Anonymous said...

My students had oral reports due at the end of 3rd quarter. One boy came into class and asked if they were going to "presentate" that day. When I asked him if he wanted to present to the class, he caught his mistake. Two minutes later, a girl asked me if volunteers would "presentate" first. That got the whole class rolling.

teacherman said...

The smile is missing a couple of teeth today. Seems that two of the journals were taken. And that actually makes me happy. It shows that students actually might want to read the darned thing.