Friday, May 30, 2008

So long

Well, it's been a long and sometimes-eventful school year. Thanks for reading. I think I have one or two loose ends to tie up, then it'll be summer time.
  • Speaking of ties, a student asked to borrow a tie for some semi-formal event coming up. Must remember to bring one in.
  • I have a new job. New city. New students. New experiences. Come back in mid-July for more info.
  • I have been chosen by the seniors to speak at graduation next weekend. Darn them, they must know my fear of public speaking. Maybe next week I'll post my rough draft and see if anyone can help.
  • Speaking of which, I was at Jewel the other day and ran into a kid I taught two or three years ago. "I'll see you at graduation," he said to me. Apparently he's got a younger sibling graduating this year. "Great," I said, "I guess I'll be saying a few words." He nodded and said, "Yeah, I heard."
  • D has yet to come up with a plan for the donated money. I'm thinking I'll just put the whole thing into some college savings account for him. After a few glitches, he's got the laptop working. And he's storing it in my locked closet these days.
  • Two kids who graduated last year stopped by the other day while one of my current juniors was hanging out. One of the now-college freshmen said he loved my class so much that he wrote an essay about it this year. Comments like that make an entire year worthwhile.
  • A students said something really hilarious the other day, possibly the funniest thing I've heard all year. "I should write that down," I said. But I didn't. And so I forgot what it was. (Darn, I was hoping that if I starting writing about it I'd remember.) Just goes to show why I NEED to post every day ...

3 comments:

Julie said...

Good luck! Reading your blog makes my day (and I do check it daily). Definitely let us know if you start a new one for the new job.

Anonymous said...

To whom it may concern,

I hate the second bullet point!

Sincerely,
Babushka#1

Bill said...

Good luck.