Thursday, January 24, 2008

Things that make me smile, #49

It's between semesters. Finals are graded. Papers turned in. Can't really start anything new until Monday, when semester 2 begins. So today I put kids into groups and had them play little word puzzles and games. One problem they had to figure out was this:

Explain which letter would logically come next in this sequence:
A E F H I K L M N ___

Most students worked hard on the puzzles, and there was excitement in the room as groups got answers right or wrong. But from one group, I heard this exchange:

"Man, where the hell does he get these questions?"
"I don't know. Must stay up late doing these."
"That man has too much time on his hands."

The answer to the question is in the comments.

6 comments:

teacherman said...

The next letter in the sequence is T. But can you explain why??

Anonymous said...

the category is "letters written using only straight lines"

yay, puzzles!

Anonymous said...

Here's another one:

O T T F F S S E ____

Anonymous said...

n... for "nine"

Anonymous said...

Mr. P-you've been doing those for years--that's what you left for your class when I subbed for you way back in 2001...when your students WEREN'T throwing dictionaries at each other...

teacherman said...

Oh my god, did you ever bust me! I swear I don't leave that kind of stuff in my sub folder these days. I actually have lessons ...