Thursday, October 11, 2007

Homecoming bulletin

In our school's homecoming bulletin, there are several warnings listed regarding the dance:
NO COLLEGE STUDENTS ALLOWED. NO JUKING.

My student teacher wasn't familiar with the term, so I had to explain that "juking" is sexually suggestive grinding on the dance floor. Turns out she went to a Catholic school, where they had similar warnings, although put in a slightly different way. I loved it, so I wrote next to the NO JUKING: "Leave room for the Holy Spirit."

In division, I read the bulletin to my students, and they absolutely loved it, though they were confused about who might have hand-written the extra message. A couple of girls started dancing close to each other, leaving just enough room for the Holy Spirit to squeeze in. There was laughter, and I heard a girl say, "I just love this class."

No comments: