Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Email me

Today, one of my fourth period students asked me the one question that annoys me more than just about any other: "Do you have an email address that I can have to contact you?"

This is annoying because:
  1. I give my email address to students on the first day of class.
  2. My email address is on my syllabus.
  3. I periodically force my students to email me their work.
  4. I announce my email address in class at least once a week.
But this kid is one of my favorites, a really happy-go-lucky guy, so I pretended not to be annoyed. I gave him my email address, plus an easy way to remember it: "It's my last name and my room number at yahoo dot com." And then I asked, "Why do you want it all of a sudden?"

"Because today's my last day at this school," he said, "and I want to be able to contact you if I ever have any questions." Another one bites the dust. Turns out he's moving to Los Angeles, the lucky dog. He's following his girlfriend, who happens to be pregnant.

I guess it seems he's trying to do the right thing, trying to be responsible. But, still, I wanted to ask him if he's seen the movie Juno. Instead, I told him I'd miss him.

"I'm going to miss you, too," he said. "And your class. Plus, I was looking forward to seeing that movie."

"Well, rent the movie on your own, if you can find it," I said. "And have a good time in California. Maybe some day I'll see you there."

No comments: