Sunday, January 11, 2009

Posse

THIS is what I miss about Chicago:

Remember, D, the kid who had his laptop stolen? I wrote about him, saying that he was special and would amount to great things. So readers of this blog donated something like $1,000, plus a new laptop, to replace the computer, not because they knew me or D, but because they wanted to make a difference in the life of a kid with potential.

Well, I'm happy to say that Devin (I should start calling him by his name) is on his way to reaching that potential. He recently emailed me, saying that he has won the Posse Scholarship, which will pay his tuition for four years at Oberlin College, a private liberal arts school in Ohio, "the school I really wanted to go to."

You can read about Posse on its website, but here's the main point:

The Posse Foundation identifies public high school students with extraordinary academic and leadership potential who may be overlooked by traditional college selection processes. Posse’s partner colleges and universities award Posse Scholars four-year, full-tuition leadership scholarships. These Scholars graduate at a rate of 90 percent and make a visible difference on campus and throughout their professional careers.
Makes me proud to have been a part of Devin's life ...

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I chipped in a little (very little). I don't know him or you, but it was nice to think of this kid out there who had a bright future ahead of him, and that some total strangers wanted to help him get there. That's all I knew about him.

But now I know that he and my son have the same name. That's gonna make me smile for a while.

Historygrl said...

Yay! Thank you for the update. This makes me so happy!

Anonymous said...

So exciting! I also donated a little bit for the computer and am so happy to hear that D's onto bigger and better things! Awesome!

FreshHell said...

That is so great to hear! Glad to know about this. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

What a great story, A! Thank you for the update!

Anonymous said...

Yay! Yay! Yay!

Bill said...

Good for him.

Anonymous said...

Bill Gates: "If you want your child to get the best education possible, it is actually more important to get him assigned to a great teacher than to a great school."

Read this in the NY Times Op-ed and thought of your days in Chicago. How true.

Anonymous said...

What a great story, A! Thank you for the update!

___________________
Smarry
For 3 Months Enjoy Free 28 Premium Movie Channels

Cal Skinner said...

Off to my college.

He'll have fun and study his head off.

Convert Your Scanned Pages to Text said...

Great post.....
Thanks for the nice Information.


Online Document Conversion
Convert To Word
production@jvinfosol.com/