Friday, July 04, 2008

D gets the money

A final update on D, my student whose laptop was stolen and then replaced by readers of this blog (click on the label below to follow the entire story): I met with D a couple of days ago to present him with a "scholarship fund" of $1,000. The money, most of it donated by a group of amazing people, will go toward upcoming travel and other expenses relating to his college search. He said he's spending this summer preparing for his senior year (four of his teachers assigned summer work) and visiting various campuses. Plus, at some point, he'll try to relax.

Initially, we thought we'd use half of the money to start up some sort of charity, but with me leaving, that became something of a challenge. So ... yeah ... here he is in front of the school (with a rare smile on his face):

5 comments:

teacherman said...

The picture is dark because I wanted to mask D's identity to an extent ...

FreshHell said...

Good news!! Thanks for the update.

Anonymous said...

This is excellent. It's tough enough to find time and energy to go college hunting; I'm glad the money will be used to help him with that expense. Plus, I hear that application fees are higher than ever.

Good choice. Good luck, D. I like the smile...maybe let it out a little more often?

Peace....

Maritza said...

That's great he can use it for college visits--they can get expensive. He should be eligible to get college application fees waived, I bet.

Good luck with your college hunt, D!

Anonymous said...

*** well i originally wanted to post this on the A.M. in India one, but it wouldnt let me... i told you India is no good!***

but yeah, what ever. here it goes:
NOOOO!!!!! MR.P...DONT GO!!!!!

IT'S OK, WE'LL LET YOU BACK IN THIS SO CALLED HIGH SCHOOL. I'LL TALK TO MR.N TO LET YOU HAVE YOUR JOB BACK =). MR.A TOLD US THAT HE MET UP WITH YOU YESTERDAY, AND WE( MAGGOT, RUPI AND I) ASKED HI TO TELL YOU TO STOP BY, BUT HE SAID YOU'RE LEAVING IN THE MORNING =(...WELL, BEST WISHES MR.P. HOPE YOU HAVE A GREAT PLANE RIDE AND A WONDERFUL FIRST NIGHT SLEEPING WITH THE ROACHES =D.. ADIOS! WE'RE GOING TO MISS YOU!!!